It’s been two weeks since our first volume of 5 Quick Questions, and I love (LOVE) getting to know you better. To those of you who took the opportunity to delurk, it’s so very nice to meet you! And to those of you who’ve been around a while, messing around in this space and putting your feet on the furniture? You’re always rad.
As an important follow-up to the last 5 questions, I’d like to say… Greek yogurt? I’m trying. I swear. Also, you folks are, as a whole, not easily embarrassed about your reading material and unreasonably encouraging of all kinds of hair expression. Your wild disregard for shame and acceptance of differences explain a lot about why you’re here. You make me happy.
Here are the next set of questions:
5 Quick Questions
a fill-in-the-blank exercise
- My fridge is the place where _______________ goes to die.
- Once, in the dark, I stepped on ________________.
- I’m from ____________. We’re known for ______________. This makes me feel ____________.
- My number one, go-to, family-friendly meal is ________________. (Links and/or recipe-sharing encouraged.)
- Ben & Jerry’s best ice cream flavor of all time is ___________________. (If you don’t have Ben & Jerry’s where you live, please share what you eat that’s frozen, sweet and should make us all jealous.)
These questions were inspired by many of your comments from the last volume of 5 Quick Questions, including Amy of Psych in the Kitchen, Cindy, Kate, MelissaG, Laura Brown, and Ellen of New Life Old Farm.
- My fridge is the place where tortillas go to die. This is weird, I know. Tortillas don’t belong in the fridge. Also, tortillas have an incredibly long shelf life if only we close the bag in a way that they don’t dry out. My kids, however, know neither of these things, and so we have bags and bags of tortillas, wide open, that dry out and then shatter and then scatter their tortilla carcass pieces willy nilly throughout the fridge. As I write this, it strikes me that I could, perhaps, solve this problem. I’ll add it to the list, right after organizing the linen closet.
- Once, in the dark, I stepped on a disembodied mouse head. My other foot stepped on its disemboweled guts. Also, “once” isn’t at all sufficient to describe the frequency with which this happened; our cat loved us very, very much and brought us myriad mice bits to express her adoration. Then she scattered them in the hall so we couldn’t miss them on our way to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Occasionally, she brought the mice alive on a catch-and-release basis. We called this her vegetarian phase, and it was not better.
- I’m from Oregon because I went to college here and I met a man from here and we fell in love and we had a family and we stayed. We’re known for rain. This makes me feel like I should’ve gone to college in the Bahamas.
- My number one, go-to, family-friendly meal is balls of meat. Everyone loves them. With five kids, that’s like a miracle wrapped in ground beef. A close second during flu season? Chicken noodle soup.
- Ben & Jerry’s best ice cream flavor of all time is Chubby Hubby. FYI, this is the right answer to this question. (Heather Bowie, this is your gimme!) If you disagree, I’m gonna need your full ice cream doctrinal position or a statement from your doctor excusing you for peanut allergies.
I can’t wait to read your answers. Ready? Go!
109 responses to “5 Quick Questions, vol. 2”
My fridge is the place where vegetables go to die. I very recently lost a head of cauliflower and I couldn’t find it to save my life and then a month later I found it in my closet and it had completely rotted and was then liquid.
Once, in the dark, I stepped on ________________.
I’m from Indiana. We’re known for everyone random family member that they never see. This makes me feel like whatever man.
My number one, go-to, family-friendly meal is Crispy chicken thighs.http://nomnompaleo.com/post/74180911762/cracklin-chicken
Ben & Jerry’s best ice cream flavor of all time is Everything but…. I stole my roommates and she was not happy.
1. My fridge is the place where celery goes to die. I keep buying it in the hopes of a healthy snack, then forget about it until it’s furry.
2. Once, in the dark, I stepped on my youngest daughter; she fell asleep on her way to my room in the middle of the night. Fortunately, she didn’t wake up, the kid can sleep through anything.
3. I’m from Queensland, Australia. We’re known for the Great Barrier Reef. This makes me feel amused because it’s about a 37 hour drive from where I am so is absolutely no reflection on my life at all.
4. My number one, go-to, family-friendly meal is homemade chicken korma.
5. Ben & Jerry’s best ice cream flavor of all time is something I’ll have to take your word for as we don’t get it much here. But I LOVE mango and cream Weis bars! They are a delicious combination of fresh bowen mangos and cream all in one decadent frozen bar. They’re Australian and I doubt they export, so if you’re ever over here, try one!
1.My fridge is the place where celery goes to die. I keep buying it in the hopes of a healthy snack, then forget about it until it’s furry.
2.Once, in the dark, I stepped on my youngest daughter; she fell asleep on her way to my room in the middle of the night. Fortunately, she didn’t wake up, the kid can sleep through anything.
3.I’m from Queensland, Australia. We’re known for the Great Barrier Reef. This makes me feel amused because it’s about a 37 hour drive from where I am so is absolutely no reflection on my life at all.
4.My number one, go-to, family-friendly meal is homemade chicken korma.
5.Ben & Jerry’s best ice cream flavor of all time is something I’ll have to take your word for as we don’t get it much here. But I LOVE mango and cream Weis bars! They are a delicious combination of fresh bowen mangos and cream all in one decadent frozen bar. They’re Australian and I doubt they export, so if you’re ever over here, try one!
A bit late to the party, but here I am!
My fridge is the place where sour cream goes to die. We use it a lot, but we can never find it amongst everything else, and so we buy more, and buy more, and buy more, and….yeah, you get the picture.
Once, in the dark, I stepped on blood. My own. Okay, we had the lamp on and I was on the way to the hospital, but it counts, right? Usually it’s just toys of all kinds and cords that I trip over.
I’m from Gervais, Oregon. Oregon is known for rain and hippies. Gervais is not really known for anything. We used to talk about our French trapper founder, but since fur is bad these days, most people keep quiet. This makes me feel like a small town girl doing a rain dance. (Note to stalkers: I am no longer in Gervais.)
My number one, go-to, family-friendly meal is tacos. Everyone loves them. Everyone eats them. Simplest meal on the planet to make.
Ben & Jerry’s best ice cream flavor of all time is forbidden to me. I have a dairy sensitivity, and while I take the occasional spoonful here and there, I’m careful not to make attachments. Coconut milk ice cream, on the other hand, is absolutely delightful.
Oh, and we keep tortillas in the fridge. Ever tried putting them in a ziploc bag?
My fridge is the place where plain yoghurt goes to die. I always have recipes that call for it that I have good intentions of making and then never do…
Once, in the dark, I kicked the underside of a wooden stair right on a surgery scar. I can’t think of anything I’ve stepped on… unless you count toys.
I’m from Washington, we’re known for apples (I’m not from the wet side!). This makes me feel healthy! But I’m originally from Oregon too and all my friends up here used to say I had webbed feet.
My number one, go-to, family-friendly meal is my ham and potato casserole from a 4-H recipe card I used in the 4th grade! I’ve never posted it anywhere but if you want a recipe I can email it to anyone! I take it when people have babies and they always want the recipe afterwards!
Sorry, only Tillamook in this house and Mint Chocolate Chip is the hands down favorite! We have to be careful of contaminants and I prefer my ice cream from a place I trust!
Here’s to delurking!
1. In my fridge, condiments go to die. They could have been there for years, I wouldn’t know. Pickles, olives, mustard, BBQ sauce, and about four Asian-type sauces guaranteed to take my stir fry up a notch… These fellas will probably still be in my fridge next year.
2. I confess that once, when I was visiting my mother, I stepped on a ferret. True story. Mom collects animals like some collect shoes, and this time, she had a couple of ferrets that like to hide around and under things. They also poop on the floor. A LOT. No, that’s not a pile of raisins. Trust me.
3. I grew up in Missouri, known for Harry Truman. Not very exciting. I’ve since moved many times and wound up in Kentucky, simply the best place to live in the world, in my opinion. It’s known for bourbon, horses, and derby pie. (Think pecan pie, but with chocolate and bourbon – HEAVEN!)
4. We love pizza in its various forms around here. When I’m ambitious, I make my own crust, but otherwise premade crust or dough or a basic frozen cheese pizza works great. I like to pile on whatever suits my mood at the time. Much better selection than a restaurant or delivery service.
5. Cherry Garcia, baby! B&J’s always puts the whole pitted cherries in there, unlike so many others. Fabulous. Although, one of my very favorite things in this world is Derby Pie ice cream from a local chain, Comfy Cow. As stated above, derby pie is basically pecan pie with bourbon and chocolate. When Comfy Cow mixes it with sweet cream ice cream, it’s enough to make you wanna cry. (Sorry Graeters lovers!)
-Limes die in my fridge; tangerines and oranges, too. Their bags are just too big for us to get through before they rot!
-I’ve stepped on a kid or two when they sneak in and fall asleep next to our bed w/out me knowing. But the most memorable, and grossest, thing I’ve stepped on ever (in broad daylight) was a grass snake that had slithered between my foot and my flip flop. Super squishy, cold, ewwwwy, and I kicked my foot so hard it went sailing through the air! And can I just say I’m grateful we don’t have cats? I used to feel sorry for myself that my husband is allergic to them and we can’t have one, but no longer. Cat barf and dead rodents in the night? No thanks!
-Originally from Chicagoland, grew up on dairy farm in Wisconsin, known for cheese, which makes me feel lucky. Returned to Chicagoland in my adulthood/ married life, and pine for a farm in Wisc!
-Cheesy eggs (scrambled eggs w/ cheese) and toast/ fruit, or cheese quasadillas, or mac and cheese. I’m detecting a theme here…
-Never had B & J’s. I’m a chocolate ice cream purist, and think Edy’s has one of the best, trumping even haagen Daz. But after reading all the comments, I’m starting to feel like I may have been missing out on something all these years. Doubtful anyone will read down this far, so many comments, so little time, but this has been fun! Thanks for the many quick meal ideas; perhaps I’ll stray from cheese.
My fridge is the place where _______________ goes to die.
Half bottles of wine. I know, I know, weird right? But I can’t drink wine and my husband has this thing where he absolutely cannot use up the last of anything. Can’t bring himself to do it. He’d starve first.
Once, in the dark, I stepped on ________________.
Umm, the usual, cat poop or barf.
I’m from ____________. We’re known for ______________. This makes me feel ____________.
The Okanagan (BC, Canada). Apples and peaches. Eager for the summer (bring on the farmer’s market!).
My number one, go-to, family-friendly meal is _______________.
Crock Pot Something. With Sauce (or not).
Ben & Jerry’s best ice cream flavor of all time is ___________________.
New York Super Fudge Chunk.
[…] I read your responses to 5 Quick Questions, volume 2, I noticed a disturbing trend, friends, and I started to develop a […]
Wow, thanks for the link to Balls of Meat! Finally a third recipe my picky eater will eat. I’ll add that to the hamburger and taco rotation.
My fridge is the place where things rarely go to die. I’m a bit neurotic about not throwing away food.
Once, in the dark, I stepped on cat vomit.
I’m from Finland. We’re known for Nokia phones, Angry Birds and not talking to strangers. This makes me feel weird about talking to strangers, never having owned a Nokia or played Angry Birds.
My number one, go-to, family-friendly meal is homemade pizza. It’s easy to leave one part of the pizza without an ingredient that someone doesn’t like. I usually substitute a part of the flour with oat meal, to make the dough a bit more healthy.
Ben & Jerry’s best ice cream flavor of all time is Vermonster, and Oh My Apple Pie. I can’t choose which! Although B&J’s is usually a bit too sweet for my taste.
1. Leftover food from cans that were opened and not all of it was used- green beans, refried beans, tuna fish, etc.
2. Once in the dark, I stepped on my friend’s face who was staying the night. It was not good.
3. I’m from Portland, Oregon. We’re known for rain. This makes me feel drenched.
4. My number one go-to family-friendly meal is taco salad. So many variations and add ins that everyone can be happy with what how they choose to make theirs.
5. Ben and Jerry’s best icecream flavor of all time is “Everything But The…”.
My fridge is the place where kale goes to die. Why do I keep buying it? It looks so healthy & colorful. I like it at restaurants. I keep thinking it will make a tasty lunch…or I’ll make some kale chips. Then I forget & find a dark green bag of swamp slime in the back of the veggie drawer. I think my children help it get to the back shortly after it arrives, but I can’t prove that yet.
Once, in the dark, I stepped on a frog. They EXPLODE when you do that….all up you leg…and over your shoe. I’m pretty sure they explode higher and further than mouse heads. Maybe we should have a competition on that one.
I’m from Colorado. We’re known for snow and mountains and beautiful sunsets. This makes me feel loved by the God who created all this beauty.
My number one, go-to, family-friendly meal is burritos. Savory sells the best taco seasoning mix around. Just mix it with browned ground beef. Lay out salsa, sour cream, guacamole, shredded cheese, lettuce. The family ALMOST prepares their own dinner!
Ben & Jerry’s best ice cream flavor of all time is What the Fluff!. It used to be Cluster Fluff, but some stuffy people pressured the guys to change the name. Seriously, people, if you don’t have a sense of humor just eat more ice cream until you get one! Or go find another brand with plain names & eat their ice cream. Of course, Blue Bell ice cream is even yummier and we can get it in Colorado now – hurray! They’ve got the best Red Velvet by far. But, Ben & Jerry’s is right down the plaza from BeauJo’s pizza – yummy mountain pizza – so who can resist those two delicious neighbors?
1. Leftovers and salad die in my fridge. I’m trying to get better about both, I really hate wasting food.
2. Cat puke. Ugh
3. I’m from North Carolina and were known for great mountains and great beaches. I love the beach!
4. My go to meal? Kielbasa (sliced and boiled), Velveeta shells and cheese and microwave in the bag broccoli. The one for sure meal my pickiest will eat. 🙂
5. Ben and Jerry’s Dave Matthews Band Magic Brownie. Raspberry and vanilla ice cream with brownie chunks. I haven’t seen it in the store in quite a while, now I need to check to see if it has moved to the flavor graveyard (please, no!).